The picky eater’s Thanksgiving

11.26.2008

in Uncategorized

I asked Thalia what she thought she was going to have for Thanksgiving dinner and she showed me this picture she drew for her first “homework” at preschool.

The meal consists of:
-crackers
-a carrot
-one french fry
-”pink sauce”

At least clean-up will be easy.

Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy and delicious Thanksgiving.

Alexis November 26, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving Feast to me! I especially love pink sauce…In Willa’s pre-school a few years ago, they had the kids give their recipes for Thanksgiving foods and then made it into recipe books for everyone to keep. If I recall Willa’s turkey recipe correctly, it went like this: Put the turkey in the pan with one piece of celery. Bake for 10 minutes. Add one piece of carrot and blow on the turkey. Eat!(She left out the going to the emergency room with food poisoning part!)Happy Thanksgiving!

Marinka November 26, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I don’t want to alarm you, but I think that’s not a carrot. It looks like a goldfish.(Maybe the pink sauce is Pepto?)Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Mom101 November 26, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Oh Alexis, that’s great! Well I guess the “bake for ten minutes” thing wouldn’t be so bad if she was having what it seems like we’re having. And Marinka: Pepto. Perfect. She’d be more likely to eat it than the turkey, it seems.

Fairly Odd Mother November 26, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Have you tried adding pink food coloring to everything you make? Pink mashed potatoes, pink pancakes, pink, er, sauce? Of course, you’d probably stop eating b/c that just sounds icky to me, but she may love it. . .Rest assured that Sage will try everything!Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I’m thankful I don’t have to cook a turkey.

PunditMom November 26, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it was for the Pilgrims to make that pink sauce — don’t you need a Cuiseinart for that?

Jeannine November 26, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Pink sauce! One French Fry! How perfect. Wish I could stop at one french fry though. Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan C November 26, 2008 at 5:25 pm

My daughter is now 19, and she’s STILL a picky eater, especially at Thanksgiving. No gravy. No vegetables. And God forbid if the foods touch. She does love that jellied cranberry sauce in a can. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.

Jamie November 26, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I am Canadain and I so forgot your thanksgiving was coming…. enjoy!!!

laurah_082000 November 26, 2008 at 6:34 pm

At my four year old nieces day care they had to draw what they were thankful for… My lovely niece drew toilet paper, a bed, and the sun. When questioned as to why she was thankful for these things. She very simply said, well the sun is so it wont be dark all the time, the bed is so I dont have to sleep on the ground, and my favorite was, the toilet paper because you have to wipe so your butt does not get itchy!!! I almost peed myself when my sister told me!! THANK GOD FOR CHARMIN!! Remember ladies no one likes a butt scratcher!!!

mommypie November 26, 2008 at 6:59 pm

THANKFULLY, I’m not the one responsible for cooking this year. Because if I WERE, it would truly be fries and pink sauce.Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Josette at Halushki November 26, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Dude, where are the magic mushrooms? That is the most festive and bright and glorious Thanksgiving meal ever.Pink sauce. I think it’s a mix of cranberries and flour. Sort of like a roux. A rouge roux.Say that fast and they’ll take away your wine.Have a Happy Feast! And many blessings to your family. Thank you for sharing all of you with us.

ShallowGal November 26, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Dang, I forgot to make the french fry.xoxo, SG

Donna November 26, 2008 at 7:35 pm

If only the meal could be that easy! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Jean November 26, 2008 at 8:10 pm

That’s one of the sweetest little stories I’ve heard all week. And btw, I knew little girls were obsessed with pink, but I had never heard of the obsession extending to food before this. You have to love how innoncent kids are…

Lady M November 27, 2008 at 2:33 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Good luck making pink sauce.

mrs. q. November 27, 2008 at 2:38 am

“Pink sauce”?? That’s cranberry sauce. Attagirl!!Wishing you all a happy, healthy holiday. Mwah.

Renée aka Mekhismom November 28, 2008 at 8:54 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I totally recognized the carrot – thanks for the info about the rest of the meal!

The Yummy Mummy Cooks Gourmet November 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm

You can’t have Thanksgiving without the pink sauce. Please. That’s not picky. It’s just good sense. Hope you are having a nice, relaxing long weekend!Kim

sweatpantsmom November 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Well, Thalia is obviously way advanced for her age – I think the pink sauce she is referring to is a Pomegranate Chutney. Happy Thanksgiving!

ReesePie November 29, 2008 at 1:49 am

I could really go for some french fries right now – I’ve been eating leftover mashed potatoes for every meal. Don’t get me wrong, they’re awesome, but right now I’m really craving a trip to Red Robin…

J at www.jellyjules.com November 29, 2008 at 5:16 am

Mmmm….Pink Sauce! Love it.

J at www.jellyjules.com November 29, 2008 at 5:18 am

p.s., look at the second picture on this post, from my mom’s blog, to see what happens when you deny a child their fair share of ‘pink sauce’. Consider yourself warned.http://mayagranny.blogspot.com/2006/12/be-careful-what-you-say.html

Asianmommy November 29, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Hey, that’s 2 servings of vegetables. That’s pretty good in my book!

JayMonster December 2, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Change crackers to Chicken Nuggets (homemade), and ketchup for “pink sauce” and you pretty much have my daughter’s thanksgiving feast