Breastmilk Baby Doll launches – it eats, it drinks, it turns people into idiots

7.19.2011

in big gay liberal post,funny to me at least,things that make you go argh

breastk milk baby dollThe second I got wind that the Breast Milk Baby Doll, already popular in Europe, was launching in the US, my first thought was…hoo boy. Here come the crazies. And yep. I was right.

On Cool Mom Picks, the dissenters have, almost without exception, been sane. Because our readers are, almost without exception, awesome. Most of them like the message it sends, but if they don’t like the doll, it’s because they don’t feel that a parent needs to spend $89 for a battery operated Chinese-made doll for a kid to be able to “nurse” her (or his) dolls. I buy that 100%. We don’t have dolls that pee or poop or talk around our house either.

For a brief while, we did own the doll affectionately known as Lead-y Betty, who was rescued off the tough streets of Chinatown in 2007 by a well-meaning relative. She wore a sparkly pink Daisy Duke number dipped in six layers of premium grade lead paint, for extra sparkle. And she didn’t speak so much as she shrieked. In some crazy Chinese-English-Parrot hybrid language. At any given moment, with or without human intervention, she could be heard flailing her arms and legs and yelling WAH-OOH! WAH-OOH! WAH-OOH! before launching into a frenetic rendition of TINKLE TINKLE LITTAH STAH…WAH-OOH!

It was worse than even a Sing-a-ma-jig.

What I’m having trouble understanding are the people who say things like “this crosses a dangerous line” or “it sexualizes our little girls” or “Jesus is going to be SO MAD!”

(I did respond to one person who suggested that the doll is upsetting because little girls don’t actually have boobs. I reminded her that little girls don’t actually have babies, either. Still haven’t heard back.)

But really the toughest for me, was understanding my own initial discomfort when I first heard about the doll. I wholly admit: my first reaction was “Hm. That’s a little weird.”

So I asked myself…would I okay with a baby doll that simulates drinking milk from a bottle? Of course.

Would I be okay with a baby pig doll that sucks milk from the mommy pig? Why not.

Would I be okay with my kids simulating breastfeeding under their shirts? They already do.

Hm.

That’s when I realized…it’s a gateway doll.

It’s a doll that leads to other things!

Let your kid have a Breast Milk Doll and the next thing you know, she’ll want a co-sleeping doll. Can you imagine? A doll that is made for you to sleep with it! The downfall of independence in our country! The end of democracy as we know it!

And then? I imagine your formerly sweet little girl will be wanting to carry it in a sling instead of pushing it in a stroller like God intended. Before you know it, she’s feeding that baby doll homemade organic baby food from some communist food CSA, pre-registering it for a Waldorf preschool, selling the family TV, and refusing to shave her armpit hair.

Stupid Breast Milk Baby Doll.

I’m just glad I figured it out.

darah July 19, 2011 at 8:26 am

i almost just spit out my coffee.

i love gateway babies!
darah recently posted..never a dull momentMy Profile

zchamu July 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

You have no idea. Next thing, there will be cloth diaper dolls. Do you have any idea what would happen to our society if Pampers wasn’t filling landfills every day? Anarchy, that’s what. You laugh, unbeliever. You just wait.
zchamu recently posted..Things I Wrote At Care2…My Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

No! Not the cloth diaper dolls! How will the safety pins ever make it through the CPSIA testing?
Mom101 recently posted..Breastmilk Baby Doll launches – it eats, it drinks, it turns people into idiotsMy Profile

Leslie July 19, 2011 at 9:04 am

They have velcro now…
Leslie recently posted..Hello, Long Lost Sister!My Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

See what I know? I was a Pampers user.

TheFeministBreeder July 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Or snaps! Snaps are the best!
TheFeministBreeder recently posted..Parenting: UR Doin It RongMy Profile

Jehefinner July 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Or a nappi nippa. We used nappi nippas to hold our beautifully folded terry squares together, before we moved onto velcro fastening stuffables.

And yes, my girls have a dolly sling and tiny cloth nappies for their babu dolls, which they nurse. Still can’t get them to stop spoon feeding them though, BLW has not survived the doll accessories brain washing…..
Jehefinner recently posted..Lactivist buy and sell group on FacebookMy Profile

Ruthiemari July 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Just so long as they never get onto the Elimination Communication doll!

Heather July 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

They have the EC pants doll already in China.

And the baby doll I got my daughter for Christmas that wets? He totally came with a cloth diaper.

And he has a penis. Of course, now she’s ONLY going to want sons. Daughters will never be enough, because her doll had a penis!

Kayleigh Sheehy July 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

LOL, my grandmother made cloth diapers for my baby dolls. And look at what it did to me as an adult!!! I’m a cloth diapering hippie!!!

Ben July 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’m a 36 year old preschool teacher, and I remember a baby doll when i was little that had a penis. It really didn’t phase me.

I’m not saying we need to promote breastfeeding at a young age, but it is a natural and beautiful part of being a female. I’d rather have my daughter aspire to be a breast feeding mom than an anorexic barbie doll!

ladyscott July 21, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Ben, you said, “I’d rather have my daughter aspire to be a breast feeding mom than an anorexic barbie doll.” THANK YOU!! :D

Erin L. July 19, 2011 at 8:52 am

BWA HA HA! That was totally awesome.
Erin L. recently posted..Capturing the Everyday: where things pile upMy Profile

Ann July 19, 2011 at 8:52 am

Exactly. And if we let people marry who they want to marry regardless of gender, they will start marrying animals and inanimate objects.

That little girl will want to marry that doll for God’s sakes! AND IT’S A GIRL DOLL.
Ann recently posted..I need help with some questions I have. Here they are.My Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 8:56 am

I WANT TO MARRY A CHAIR. YOU CAN’T STOP ME, RELIGIOUS RIGHT.

Rene Foran July 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oh God Ann! And it’s family too!
I smell a TLC fetish show in production!

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale July 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Ann, I adore you. <3
Rachel – A Southern Fairytale recently posted..It Only Takes ONEMy Profile

Motherhood Uncensored July 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

I’ve decided to tell my MIL that my daughter really wants this for Christmas. My MIL who, when hearing that I was going to breastfeed said “Why? Who does that?”

I’d rather have her spend money on a plastic China-made doll that breastfeeds rather than one that poops or pees.

Oh wait, she already did that.

Christa July 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh you are genius! I am telling my MIL the same thing. LOL

noelle July 19, 2011 at 8:59 am

Does it come with a pump…for when you are too busy coloring, watching Dora etc….

Katie July 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

*DEAD*
Katie recently posted..BlogHer Countdown Update! 2 weeks!My Profile

marty July 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

marty recently posted..Nut butter granola barsMy Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 9:21 am
Suebob July 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

Noelle is the winner of everything.
Suebob recently posted..Two amazing women at EvoMy Profile

Theryssa July 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm

That’s. Awesome.

Stacy Zacharias July 20, 2011 at 12:42 am

HA! Too funny! If I had girls instead of boys, I would get them one (the doll, not a pump) :)

Lookie-Loo July 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Noelle, I just about peed myself!

I wouldn’t buy this doll for my kid ($89 in a depression, give me a break), but I do think it should be in every motherhood store for those first-time moms!

isabella mendoza July 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Noelle-
I figured that even commenting on this was astronomically stupid, but then I saw your comment and realized that a great sense of humor is the answer to everything! You made my evening!!

Liz July 19, 2011 at 9:09 am

Clearly I was ahead of the trend. I made my daughter a baby carrier to carry her Cabbage Patch doll in nearly 20 years ago. And I don’t even particularly LIKE to sew. I’m not sure that the breastfeeding doll is necessary, though. Most little kids I’ve known with any particular experience with breastfeeding seem to nurse their stuffed animals, their dolls, etc. without any special equipment. Grosses out some non-breastfeeding grandmothers though.

Jess July 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

It is particularly distressing when your little girl is wearing a dress and decides that her baby koala is hungry in the middle of Stuff Mart and then lifts her entire dress to get at her chest…. yes, can you imagine the looks?? Yes, it does gross people out who have no idea…

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Well no wonder! Humans feeding marsupials? Horrifying.

Jodi July 20, 2011 at 3:42 am

See? You were right! Now they’ll start breastfeeding *anything*; puppies, a cup… even humans… O.0

Kanesha July 19, 2011 at 9:13 am

HAHA!! I have a son with one on the way. I wish I had a babygirl to give this doll too. Its ROCKS!! If people cant see the REAL message behind it, then they are missing the whole point. I also like the cloth diaper baby as well that you guys was talking about! WE can start a movement! :)

Aimee July 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

My son always gave his babies to me to feed. <3

corra July 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

My son had two anne geddess dolls…he named them “hot dog” and “ikea”. Not the most stellar name choices, i’ll admit. But he did nurse them, often at the same time!
Many adults can’t pull off nursing twins…so i’ll give him credit for that.

Amanda July 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My son nursed nursed his babies with his belly button because his boobies don’t make milk.

Lindsay July 20, 2011 at 1:07 am

I just HAD to share this link. I love all the comments on here! Cracking up. Men breastfeed. Read the article. My hubs said he would NEVER do this for me, but since I read this article, I’ve been sharing it all over!

Carrie beard July 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

My son breast fed his dolly when I was feeding his brother. My hubby thought it was weird and would show him “how daddies feed their babies” but at home with me, I let him. I thought it was sweet. He is 12 now and hasn’t been permanently damaged nor is he gender confused. he was TWO!

krysanne July 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

All of you have me splitting at the seams! bahaha :) great post :)

Vickie @Demand Euphoria July 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

Jesus is going to be so mad at you for this post… But it was worth it because it’s awesome.
Vickie @Demand Euphoria recently posted..How Your Child Is Like Your BladderMy Profile

Jen July 19, 2011 at 9:20 am

wow, i had kind of the same reaction that you did to this doll. my first reaction was not to be angry or anything but to think that this is a little bit creepy (and also, who needs a $90 piece of crap toy). but ultimately you’re right – i don’t find the baby dolls who drink from a bottle creepy, and probably not the baby animals who feed off the mommy animals. so when i really think about it, this doll isn’t creepy, it’s just overpriced. luckily i’m certain my son would think this toy is “for girls” and would not want it.

when i was a kid, i actually had a stuffed sheep who gave birth to a baby stuffed sheep – there was a velcro pouch and the baby came out. the baby actually came out of the mommy sheep’s butt so not really anatomically correct. frankly my friends and i always thought that was pretty creepy and weird. haven’t thought about that in a long time so thanks for bringing back that memory!

Kate @ Kate from Scratch July 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

haha! Never gave it that much thought. But, yeah…that pretty much sums it all up.
Kate @ Kate from Scratch recently posted..Dinner for Four: On the flyMy Profile

Annie @ PhD in Parenting July 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

I wasn’t okay with a doll that simulated drinking from a bottle, being pushed around in a pink stroller (yes, it MUST be pink), sleeping in a pink crib (MORE PINK!), and being carried in a pink car seat.

So we bought a doll. A simple doll that came with nothing but some clothes and a (SHOCK!) a cloth diaper. She nurses the doll. She sleeps with the doll. She wears the doll in a sling.

We’re doing our part to make mainstream society crumble apart without having to rush out to buy the breastfeeding doll.
Annie @ PhD in Parenting recently posted..Conferences, Conferences…My Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

you go on with your bad society-crumbling self, Annie.

Natalie St John July 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Hey my son has a pink stroller to push baby elmo in! He loves it!

Jodi July 20, 2011 at 4:07 am

It’s interesting really, I remember hearing from my lecturer in sociology that it wasn’t to long ago when the whole ‘pink for girls, blue for boys’ was actually the other way around; pink (and red) were considered far more masculine colours, being more intense, and light duck-egg blues feminine. It intrigues me the symbolism people place on colour. (Please don’t eat my prosthetic ‘u’, I’m from Australia lol)

Janice July 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

omg, LOVE where you went with this! Still giggling over ‘gateway baby’! awesome stuff…

b July 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

awesome! I would totally let my little girl (if I had one.. I only have boys) breastfeed her doll. my sons have either asked if they could breastfeed their baby brother or have pretended they were nursing my shoulder. ha! and I remember trying to nurse my doll when I was 2 as my mom breastfed my younger sister. might as well let them pretend. why not? I think it’s the fact that it’s a doll made specifically for breastfeeding (if I’m understanding correctly) that freaks everyone out. a little weird, but whateva..

X July 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm

My son used to bring his trucks (and plastic lizard) to bedtimes and they had to ‘have some minnou’ (his word for breastfeeding) before he could. I’m not really into the doll specifically for breastfeeding, but then neither am I for the peeing pooping doll.
But bet your sweet bippy I would’ve been at three or four!

Hollamom July 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

Well we shouldnt leave the boys out ! Next we will have a Fertilization Doll, where your son can put decals on his privates and fertilize an egg. Why not, its natural. Sure he will figure it out eventually but why not give him a head start like everyone else does.

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

See also: Marrying chairs.

Elizabeth July 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

Brilliant!

red pen mama July 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

These comments are almost as brilliant as the post. Thanks for the laugh!
red pen mama recently posted..The Difference Six Years MakeMy Profile

TyKes Mom July 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

LOL! Love this!!!!!

Kim Z. July 19, 2011 at 10:36 am
Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

Maybe there’s a hotline you can call for 24/7 assistance.

Elita @ Blacktating July 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

That would be a “warmline.”

Ryan July 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

That is fantastic! Bad latch lol!!

Bill July 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

This doll is TERRIBLE and RIDICULOUS. If I EVER got this doll for my daughter, which I WOULDN’T, she would have to use it while locked in her bedroom because breastfeeding should be done in PRIVATE and little girls should know that from day 1! Anyone who gets this for their daughter should WATCH OUT because it sends the wrong signal that breastfeeding is OKAY, which is surely isn’t.

I would write more, but I’m tired of using ALL CAPS. Plus, I need to go drink some milk that came out of a cow’s boobs (that’s perfectly natural) and then go to the toy store to buy a barbie for my daughter, so she can learn what real women are like. And a toy rifle for my son so he can learn to be a Real Man.
Bill recently posted..Dad, Do You Remember This?My Profile

momiocrity July 19, 2011 at 11:58 am

Don’t forget the fully hetero G.I. Joes ;)

bwahahahaha love it!

JennyH July 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Forget the barbie, bratz dolls are soooo much more realistic!

Ruthiemari July 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Aww, how nice you let her use her bedroom, not a bathroom.

M July 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I hope that’s RAW cow’s milk not that nasty pasteurized stuff… ;)

PROUD 2 Breastfeed July 19, 2011 at 11:51 pm

You are obviously a turnip that fell WAY off the truck! Sir, I feel sorry for you because you are obviously also ignorant. I suggest you educate yourself on the benefits of a breastfed child, such things as less likely to be overweight as an adolescent or adult which a lot of adults could benefit from and for all I know you are probably one of them. At any rate, I am sickened by your post and that’s what I wanted to say. Oh, one more thing…..I proudly breastfeed my daughter, and I do use a cover but that’s out of respect for my husband for any lurking perverts, not because of anything else.

A July 20, 2011 at 1:45 am

Proud,

I’m pretty sure he was joking, in much the same vein as the other comments on here. :)

Dana July 20, 2011 at 6:28 am

I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Bill July 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Normally I wouldn’t reply, but sometimes I feel like I have to. As “A” and Dana said, I was joking.

Also, to Ruthiemari, ha ha, I should have said bathroom dang it! Next time…
Bill recently posted..Dad, Do You Remember This?My Profile

Kristi July 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

In the immortal words of my 7 year old, to the judgemental, silcone enhanced cougar at the school play: “They’re boobs lady! Get over it!”

Daisy August 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Epic!
Daisy recently posted..Google Plus, the Dawning of a New Era…My Profile

The Dalai Mama July 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

My first reaction was a bit I’d discomfort-only because my kiddos are adopted and what the hell do I know about breast feeding? But I agree the message is a good one.

Next thing you know we’ll have vegetarian mixed race dolls too. I love to watch society fall apart at the uptight seams.
The Dalai Mama recently posted..One In 7 Billion: I’m Donating My Way to 40My Profile

Sherry Carr-Smith July 19, 2011 at 10:50 am

I hope it comes with a nipple shield and some Lanisoh cream. Ooohh, product placement!

Elita @ Blacktating July 19, 2011 at 11:29 am

A nipple shield is a medical device that should really only be used under the supervision of a lactation consultant.

Annette July 20, 2011 at 1:49 am

I want a lactation consultant doll!!

Jodi July 20, 2011 at 4:12 am

Wait… bring on the natural birth doll! Complete with birthing pool and midwife doll (doubles as a lactation consultant). Optional extras can include a picture book version of Ina May’s Guide, aromatherapy set (do not use without an adult’s supervision), and Placenta (TM) for those lotus birth mamas…

Dana July 20, 2011 at 6:33 am

If there was a natural birthing doll, I’d probably play with it more than my daughter would!!

Brittney July 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

This doll gives birth (placent and cord included ), nurses AND baby wears! Craziness! I totally love it, if it weren’t so expensive lol!

E July 19, 2011 at 11:10 am

This is the next best thing to the Hawaii Chair

Gateway Exercise Machine -

Jessica R. July 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

The real question is who’s going to start selling nursing bras first, Gymboree or Children’s Place?

Awesome post!

Rachael July 19, 2011 at 11:53 am

I never in a million years would have thought there would be a need for a breastfeeding baby doll. I am not sure why, but like you, I am initially a little creeped out. It seems odd that it would be necessary for young girls to want to simulate breastfeeding – but then again, there are people out there that want a doll that pees and poops. I personally find all these dolls with bodily functions ridiculous.
Rachael recently posted..My Baby Toe Is AsleepMy Profile

TheFeministBreeder July 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Every doll is a breastfeeding doll – if you just throw away the bottle it comes with. My sons “nurse” their dolls and stuffed animals. OH NO!!! That means they’ve caught teh gayz! Now they’re making Baby Jesus cry for two reasons.
TheFeministBreeder recently posted..Parenting: UR Doin It RongMy Profile

Sherri July 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

caught the gayz…I spit tea all over my laptop! LOL

stacy July 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

OMG caught the gayz! Crack me up

Mistie July 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

When KathyLee and Hoda showed the Bebe Gluton on the Today Show a few years ago there was an uproar and I thought, “cool!” but I wasn’t going to spend $100 on a doll when my children already nurse their other dolls and stuffed animals. If you want to buy a good nursing, birthing, sling wearing, mama holding doll, made of cloth, not pvc or other crap, get this doll.. http://www.facebook.com/StewMommy/posts/10150390772954129?ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/pages/MamAmor-Dolls-Pregnant-Birthing-and-Breastfeeding-Dolls/51965979125

The dolls are gorgeous and they even do custom orders!

Kristen July 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I was laughing and crying at the same time reading this!

Indeed…the gateway doll!

Nicole July 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

~a “friend’s” Facebook status:

the breast milk baby. the latest doll. seriously?

~a response from one of her friends:

sorry but i think thats disgusting! next thing you know they will have dolls with periods!

~my response:

I think they should make one that pees on stupid people.

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Amy Allen July 20, 2011 at 12:02 am

That one will come with overpriced pretend tampons that change colors when it’s time to change them out. And don’t forget the 5 page warning about Toxic Shock Syndrome. Because, all kids who can’t read and don’t know what a period is need to know it ALL.

Ali August 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm

+2!

Laura July 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

All of you cracked me up :)

Natasha July 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I just snorted VERY loudly at my table at Second Cup!! And I think I may actually LOVE you for writing this!

Off to share everywhere I can!

@Nicole-YES, the peeing on stupid people doll is a brilliant idea!

Kat July 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Genius. Am now a devout Mom-101 follower.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.
Cheers,
Kat
Kat recently posted..Sleep on it: Catching Guilt-free Z’sMy Profile

Jayme July 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

If people think this doll sexualizes little girls, they’ve obviously never seen breastfeeding breasts. Nothing sexy about them, I assure you.

And for all the religious wackos, how do you think Mary fed sweet wittle baby Jesus? If my memory serves me, Similac didn’t hit shelves until 1000 AD. Idiots.

Btw, I WISH someone had taught me how to breastfeed. Would’ve saved me and my nipples A LOT of grief.

JMH July 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Depends on your idea of sexy I guess.
I think breast feeding breasts are awesome sexy, in the same way that pregnant bellies are sexy, and men cooing over a newborn is sexy.
There’s something wonderfully primal about watching someone nurture.
But that doesn’t have to be creepy…
You know?
*I* think we need to reclaim sexy from the creepers. It is totally possible to appreciate someone’s beauty without needing to make them feel violated! You hear that, society!

Amy in Oz July 23, 2011 at 8:34 am

Bravo, JMH!! And bravo, Mom101!!

We have breastfed, EC, sling worn, co-sleeping, cloth diapered dolls around here, and they didn’t cost an arm and a leg, just took a pinch of child observation of adults looking after babies, mixed with a dash of child imagination, and a rubbish bin full of unnecessary toy catalogues!!

My eldest got a baby doll for Christmas when she was 2.75yo, and got so excited because it came with a tiny potty also. She decided it was *just* the right size for her 6mo ECed little sister. What more could a girl want for Christmas; a baby doll *and* a potty for her cherished sister! :D

Cari Silver July 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

That was great

Wendy July 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Great post! My girls love their dolls, but we do not yet have one that breastfeeds, pees or poops (though my oldest has started asking for a Baby Alive, hopefully she’ll forget . . .). My oldest already breastfeeds her dolls on occasion, usually if she’s playing with one when I’m nursing my youngest. My husband thinks it’s kind of weird, but doesn’t discourage it. He really didn’t like it when she wanted to help me pump! Yet, he was the one who really talked me into breastfeeding in the first place :)
Wendy recently posted..My BabiesMy Profile

alexis July 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

:) perfect post! LOL

anna ~ random handprints July 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm

i feel like posting this link everywhere on the internets where people have gone completely off the deep end about a… doll. talk about first world problems.
anna ~ random handprints recently posted..What I’m Thinking About Sunday Night: Pirates, Boardwalks, and All Things New JerseyMy Profile

Marinka July 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Love this post. So smart, Liz.

I’m thinking of marketing a C-section scar bandaids that girls will be able to apply to their tummies.
Marinka recently posted..We Don’t Care About Casey AnthonyMy Profile

Hey Jen July 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm

This xInfinity
Hey Jen recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Pond InhabitorsMy Profile

Alexandra July 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Beautifully said! I just wish I had said it first!

Heidi Ahrens July 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I am the gateway parent. I am giving myself a title. Great articles and point. You did make one mistake the doll would be unschooled or home schooled. Everyone is doing it

Kristen July 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Okay you guys, stop! I keep startling my nursing baby, who needs to have a nap, with my laughing!
My initial reaction to this doll is exactly why it needs to exist. I reacted to the halter actually, that it was innapropriate…
My kids all breastfed their babies, my daughter would pull up her dress in the grocery store to nursey her bear.
I remember having a dolly that came with a soft carrier when I was young, and breastfeeding her. I was so mortified when my Mom came in and said, ‘What are you doing?!’ that I never did it again. My mom breastfed us, was nursing my baby sister at the time, (not the norm then) but was always so uncomfortable with anything that sexualized us or meant we were becoming women… (I didn’t have breasts yet, she was uncomfortable with me pretending to have them)
Sadly, after nursing 6 babies, I am still uncomfortable nursing in public, but we need to. We need to normalize it for our kids, for our daughters and their children. And if an over-priced breastfeeding doll helps to do that, then I am all for it.

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Awesome, Kristen.

Dy-Anne July 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

How much does the indignation and contempt from the bottle feeding 3 year olds cost? Or is that free with purchase?

Lori July 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

A friend posted about this doll on FB this morning, saying she didn’t want to see her daughters breastfeeding their dolls, because she’s trying to teach them how incredibly difficult it is to raise a baby at a young age. O.o Not exactly sure how breastfeeding dolls gives the idea raising babies is easy, but bottles make it a real experience and show the difficulties. Hope she just doesn’t have dolls in her house at all.

Lovin this post!! I want a co-sleeping doll for my daughter!

Amy in Oz July 23, 2011 at 8:40 am

We got the most awesome co-sleeping doll for our daughter – a little sister!! They love sharing the bed in their room, and the older often refers to the younger as her “special wheat bag” coz they can cuddle up and keep warm on cold nights! (They are currently 5.5yo and almost 3yo)

Issa July 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

My only issue with it, is that it’s $89. I do believe that kids have enough of an imagination that they don’t need dolls that do things. Maybe that’s me being a brat though….I always wanted the peeing doll and my mother would never go for it.

There are people still arguing about it on Twitter. Whatever. It’s a doll.

Marinka July 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

My favorite argument is that it’s “not necessary.” Unlike those other, oxygen-dispensing dolls.
Marinka recently posted..We Don’t Care About Casey AnthonyMy Profile

Gaby @ Tmuffin July 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hilarious post! Yup, these kids might just spoil their dolls by holding them too much!
Gaby @ Tmuffin recently posted..INSPIRATION THURSDAY: QUESTIONS FOR THE VILLAGEMy Profile

Jen Nursing Mom of 6 July 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Amen! Kristen. I agree breastfeeding should not be seen as taboo! I covered my first 4 practically head to toe while nursing, lol! With the last 2 I ‘ve been a little more laid back. I do jokingly say “Don’t worry I’ve never had a wardrobe malfunction or a Janet Jackson moment”. Half of the time no one knows that I am even nursing. If I had daughters(God has blessed me with all boys) I would buy this doll.

leanne July 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm

The post… the comments… priceless. Liz, I hope it’s okay that I say that I love you and your readers. (trying not to get between you and your chair)

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

You do know the next logical step is a polygamous marriage to inanimate objects, right? So maybe me, you, the chair…

Hey Jen July 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I want in on this. I have been having *feelings* for that scuff mark on the wall recently…
Hey Jen recently posted..Wordless Wednesday-Pond InhabitorsMy Profile

Amy July 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I have a recent photo of my 4-year-old “nursing” her teddy bear. We were getting ready for bed (we co-sleep) and she had to nurse her teddy bear before bed. She pulled down her sleep-tank and nursed. It was precious…and natural.

I think the Breast Milk Baby is a good way to make breastfeeding more accepted (as we know, some people think breast feeding is anything but natural). However, my daughter certainly doesn’t need an $89-nursing-baby. She has good ol’ stuffed animals and dolly’s that have already taken to the breast ;)

Anjanette July 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

HAHAHAHA! Oh man, this is the best thing I’ve seen all day!

Erin July 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

LOL!

For the people who think this “sexualizes our young girls,” what do they think those Bratz dolls do? And some of the slutty-looking children’s clothing out there, like shorts for 8 year olds that say “hottie” across the butt?

And they already have cloth diaper babies… many baby dolls come with reusable cloth diapers that velcro. Uh oh… ;) Although yes, I have seen a children’s toy/boutique store in which you can actually go and buy preemie-size disposables for your baby dolls. ..

Jessica July 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Liz, damnit, you nailed it again! Laughing out loud. I’ve always been interested in learning about this doll, and I wouldn’t be opposed to having one in our home.
Jessica recently posted..Golden State EscapeMy Profile

Cindy Hallman-Morris July 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Since my kids are older, I missed the brouhaha about the breastmilk baby doll. This was fabulously funny!! Thanks for the intro – I shall warn folks about those gateway dolls.

Ameena Falchetto (MummyinProvence) July 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hilarious post and all so true … I didn’t understand the crazy hype about the doll – it’s a marketing wonder … it’s just like any other doll just packaged to breastfeed vs. bottle feed.

I eagerly anticipate the arrival of the co sleeping doll … woot! :)
Ameena Falchetto (MummyinProvence) recently posted..The Global Differences of Baby-Making: JAPANMy Profile

Jessi July 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

We should set up a DLL (Doll Leche League).

Dianne Jenkins July 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

LOL!!

Hyperdad July 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Anyone that thinks this doll ‘sexualizes’ young girls has obviously forgotten what breasts are for… If anything it *DE*sexualizes them, and little girls learn from a young age that boobies are for babies.

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for weighing in. I’m going to disagree that breasts are exclusively for babies; of course they have a sexual purpose too. But not in this case.

Kelly July 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm

This is amazing. I’m all for nursing and teaching my daughter about it but I’m not spending 89$ for it! I’ll buy her a doll form the dollar store and pop it on her little sprouts before I drop that much. The main reason I nursed was to save money!

Donna Spurbeck July 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

WHY ARE PEOPLE HAVING SUCH A COW OVER THIS DOLL… THERES NOTHING SEXAL ABOUT NURSING…. I THINK IT IS WONDERFUL.. I THINK MORE WOMEN SHOULD BREAST FEED. EVEN THE BIBLE SAYS HOW BEAUTIFUL N WONDERFUL NURSING A BABY IS…. THE LITTLE GIRL PUTS ON A VEST THAT HAVE SENSORS IN IT N THE BABY STOPS CRYING WHEN PUT TO THE VEST.. PERTENTING TO NURSE IN PRIVATE OF COURSE… AMERICA ISNT READY TO EXCEPT A MOTHER FEEDING/NURSING HER BABY NATURALY… LOL

Christa July 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm

What are people so afraid of?
Their toddler having a more succesful breastfeeding experience than them?
I mean seriously.
Bratz dolls over sexualize young girls daily… and some stores can’t keep them in stock they sell out so quickly. I saw grown women fighting over them on Black Friday 2 years ago.
I won’t be buying the doll… but only because I don’t buy dolls that do things. My girls can breastfeed, and do breastfeed any of their dolls. They have learned by example.
13.3% of women are still exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months in this country…
Maybe if more moms would breastfeed for the MINIMUM recommended time we wouldn’t need a doll to teach their daughters how to nurture their babies.

always home and uncool July 19, 2011 at 5:50 pm

As long as it’s cheaper than that American Girl doll junk. Now that’s a gateway doll … gateway to bankruptcy court.
always home and uncool recently posted..Brief Observations on Summer Camp 2011My Profile

Chrissi July 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm

People are flat out ridiculous; my daughter (and son) nursed whatever they could-whether it was a doll, a truck, or a stuffed bear. No need for an expensive doll; all dolls are breastfeeding friendly :P
Chrissi recently posted..Oh baby!My Profile

Debra Yeates July 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I think the doll is a great idea. With all the harmful toys out there why not one that at least demonstrates something healthy and natural. Love the comment about the pump!!! As a work out of the home mother (by necessity) who still tries to do a semblance of attachment parenting, I pumped religiously with both of my kids!!! Totally and completely worth it!!!

My son got a doll before our daughter was born and I got him a stroller and carrier for the doll (they were blue but only because that’s his favorite color). My daughter’s favorite book is Bob the Builder. She also likes her princess book because it plays “If your happy and you know it”. My son puts the hairbows that I make to sell in his hair. Nothing wrong with any of that.

As long as there are toys like Bratz dolls, Garbage Pail kids, candy cigarettes and tweens wearing and using pacifiers then we need some toys promoting positive healthy behaviors!!!

Babe_Chilla July 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

This is my first visit to your site. I am LMAO.

If breastfeeding dolls are a gateway, then someone please tell me why we sell toy guns and knives as I am WAY more concerned about that gateway.

My daughter is 16 months and so far shows no interest in dolls but I CANNOT WAIT to see her breastfeed and BABY WEAR! That’s a gateway I can get behind!
Babe_Chilla recently posted..The Definition of Insanity – Toddler FeedingMy Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm

But Babe, don’t you realize that guns don’t make children think about breasts? Really. Use a little common sense about the greater dangers to our society next time.

Or wait, guns is actually a euphemism for breasts. Damn. Maybe we should think about it some more.

Karen (SubMommy) July 19, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Perhaps I’m a bit *dumb* here, but why does my daughter need a doll that specifically breastfeeds? I mean, really. Put the doll up to your non-existent boobie, little girl, and voila! Breastfed baby doll. (Exactly what my daughter did when Boy was born.) Moms – save yourself the Ka-ching.

I’m not even going to come near the whole, “sexualization of little girls” thing. ‘Cause that’s just plain stupid. I’ve breastfed two babies. Nothing sexy about it.
Karen (SubMommy) recently posted..Random FridayMy Profile

PunkMama July 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I read an article about this doll by someone who has her doctorate in child psych. Her stance was that it “prematurely socialized” children. I wanted to bang my head into a desk because WTF does she think playing house and school are for children? Play is part of the socialization process, DUH! I didn’t love this specific doll because A) the price and B) I thought the nursing top looks like it has pasties on it. But, I like the idea of it. I’m one of those strange moms who will buy cloth doll diapers though so what do I know

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm
Lilly Sanovia July 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh too funny….a gateway doll. I don’t have any problems with this doll other than its cost. My daughter has breastfed all of her dolls and stuffed animals without any need for a $90 doll with a “special bib”.
Lilly Sanovia recently posted..Non-toxic Spring CleaningMy Profile

Karen July 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Where can I get the armpit hair doll?

Steve July 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm

The most idiotic argument I heard against the doll was from a lady who professed her Christianity and quoted Proverbs 22:6 :
“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” All I could say was ” I am about 99.9% baby Jesus was breastfed.
Steve recently posted..Daddies and Daughters Can Have Heart to Heart Talks TooMy Profile

Diana July 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

This is hillarious! I like your snide humor and it really does call out the truth about people’s prejudices. Thanks for sharing!
Diana recently posted..Nostalgia Covers a Multitude of SinsMy Profile

Bridget July 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Ut-freakin-oh….. no joke… as today is my daughter’s birthday she just got her much begged for Breastmilk Baby Doll and we just took a smiley picture of her with it in a SLING… and the CLOTH DIAPERS for it are in the mail!!! Gateway baby doll – you aren’t kiiding —- I have photographic evidence!!!! OMG! bwaaahhahahahaaa

Maria July 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I barely managed to read this out loud to DH through gales of laughter. This baby glotton thing has been going around for months (or more) and every now and again a new group of people get wind of it and write about it. Yours is by far the best I’ve read!
Maria recently posted..Bummis Swimmi Swim Diaper WinnerMy Profile

GirlsGoneChild July 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

When I was breastfeeding Fable, Archer used to sit next to me on the couch and nurse his trains.

Now? HE’S REALLY INTO TRAINS!

Gateway indeed. Fuck!
GirlsGoneChild recently posted..Twenty-Seven WeeksMy Profile

Mom101 July 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm

That’s proof right there. Alert Fox News.

Dawn July 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm

HI-friggin-LARIOUS. I hate this doll and all the crap it has brought along with it. Any doll can be a breastfeeding doll. It’s like saying some babies are made for breastfeeding and some aren’t. I guess we should start educating our kids and letting them decide which route they’re going to choose ;)

Laurie July 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Until there is a spinster-of-the-future baby doll rending its garments and saying “dammit, my boobs will be as good as yours regardless” I will not rest.

You’re always right there, Liz. It’s why I love you.
Laurie recently posted..Tattoo MeMy Profile

roo July 19, 2011 at 11:53 pm

???
I’m hoping to be breastfeeding for the first time in a bit less than a month. Didn’t know it was going to be all super-sexy and stuff.

Actually, I’ve heard it might make my nipples raw and oozy at first.
Sexy!

Wait, will this doll make a child’s nipples raw and oozy at first?
It better come with some lanolin cream, or I’m four-square against it.

Macha July 20, 2011 at 12:33 am

I lost it at “communist food CSA.” lol, is there a Godwin’s law for communism?
Macha recently posted..Book Review: God is Not Great by Christopher HitchensMy Profile

Mom101 July 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

Ha Macha, totally!

MamaPersoff July 20, 2011 at 1:21 am

You all are priceless! I wish I could have every one of you over for coffee at my house :-) What a time we would have.
That’s it: Lactivitst Coffee Hour at my house, tomorrow at 10am – BYOM (Bring your own Mammaries) :-)

My two sons were breastfed, and my daughter is adopted *and* breastfed :-) and nursed her baby dolls. The funniest one was a plastic, 8″ gray skeleton that we used for decoration at Halloween. She claimed it and it became her favorite “baby”. She treated it like a real baby, including nursing “skeleton” LOL! We got some seriously disturbed looks.

Jennifer B July 20, 2011 at 2:32 am

You ladies are awesome.. I needed a good laugh tonight!

Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service July 20, 2011 at 2:40 am

hahaha this is totally hilarious! You cracked me up! Good point here: “So I do get the point that we don’t need our dolls to actually do the things that our kids’ imaginations already make them do.” I totally agree.
Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service recently posted..Local Carpet CleaningMy Profile

Birth Without Fear July 20, 2011 at 3:21 am

Brilliant.

MNMommyJosie July 20, 2011 at 3:21 am

I did this same thing – do I care if it drinks from a bottle? No. Do I care if the kids pump milk and feed it with a bottle? Hey, you can play with my old Pump In Style, I don’t care! So what is my problem?

I then envisioned my daughter, a little older, wandering around the local grocery store with a nursing tank on, one strap undone, feeding the baby. And I’ll admit I cringed a little.

Then I got mad at myself for following societial norms.

I decided I’m okay as long as she isn’t flashing people. :-)
MNMommyJosie recently posted..Huh. Next time I should look before I drink.My Profile

Jodi July 20, 2011 at 4:21 am

Even if I wasn’t ‘for’ breastfeeding (and I am, proudly breastfed my first two and still going on the third), as far as I would be concerned it’s hardly embarrassing or uncomfortable for my daughter to pretend to breastfeed a doll in public. For crying out loud, she’s already given detailed accounts of ‘how my brother was born at home’ to a full doctor’s waiting room (PAHAHAHAHA, that was priceless! As it turns out she was my impromptu support person, my wee angel!). Personally I feel embarrassed for stepford bottle-feeder parents who don’t allow their children to behave (gasp) like children.

Amy Peterson July 20, 2011 at 6:46 am

I find it a little creepy too – I think it’s the apron with the flower patches that’s required to make the baby eat. Either that or the disgusting sounds it makes while nursing- talk about a poor latch!!!

Stasi July 20, 2011 at 10:10 am

My husband (!) points out that this actually DEsexualizes breasts by teaching children what they are REALLY for.

Stasi July 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

Also, my nephews are fond to nursing their dolls, so what could that mean???

Margaret @ Creative Madness Mama July 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

I have pure love for you right now. :) Thank you for making my day. I remember seeing this doll on TV several months ago. Interesting that it is here now.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com July 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Ooh, someone mentioned this on my site a couple months ago and we discussed it briefly in the comments here: http://becomingsarah.com/index.php?%2Fbecoming_sarah%2Fcomments%2F1264%2F

The thing is that my initial opinion actually stands on this, which is something of a miracle given my general ability to waffle on a topic like nobody’s business. I’m the best waffler around, but I still don’t care about the doll at all. I mean, it has benefits (hello, I was 19 before I figured out what boobs were for, and that’s just pathetic) and it has pitfalls (restricting a child’s creative play), but my biggest beef remains the way it is produced, packaged, and marketed. I think there are many worse and more offensive and concerning toys out there, things like dolls toting guns or dolls made with traces of all sorts of carcinogenic chemical crap, and I’m not sure why a doll about breastfeeding is getting more attention than those, honestly.
Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com recently posted..Two.My Profile

TurtleTots July 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I have to say that I totally agree with your gateway doll theory, I think it’s brilliant. I told my DH about this doll and his first reaction was also ‘Hmmm’, he believes that it might be a little excessive, as you can use any doll to “nurse”. I agree with most parents that $89 is too steep a price, but would not be opposed to having the doll in my house.
It has been said that this is a great way to spread the word about breast feeding, and it is so true. I breastfeed my 8mth old daughter still, and I have no shame in doing so in public. The dirty looks don’t bother me, I just look at them and smile :) My DH is a tiny bit annoyed that if I dont have a blanket it doesn’t stop me, he’s worried I might offend someone ;) I do not whip it out to flash the passerbys, I am feeding my daughter, and honestly, I don’t know how women find the time and patience for bottles and formula. How do you heat a bottle if you are out? What if you forget the formula? The convenience and ease (now) of breastfeeding is unbeatable.

ElizaBeth July 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

My kids, son and daughters, “nursed” and bottle fed their “babies” without any special doll. They bathed, changed cloth and disposable diapers, potty trained and even co-slept those babies or put them in portable cribs! They carried them in “pouches” and pushed them in strollers. And before their baby was “born” they even hid it under their shirts to pretend they were expecting a baby too! As the “babies” got older they went to Sunday School and home-school and even public school. Sometimes they ate home cooked meals, sometimes they ate out. Depending on what their Little Mommies felt like playing that day. OH, the tragedy. My children are scarred for life! I must have confused them as to the “right way” to care for an infant. Good grief! (I so wish there was a sarcasm font.)

LawyerMom July 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Well, I’ve found a new favorite blog. And based on the comments, I can’t wait to see what random inanimate object my daughter decides she should breastfeed… she’s 16 months and could care less about dolls, but thanks to all you commenters, I now know it’s only a matter of time. Look out Liz, she may come after your chair!

Hollie July 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm

totally stupid, just let them use their imaginations, what ever happened to that??
My little girl has mini cloth nappies for her doll, I own my own nappy business, so naturally she wanted them for her dolls so I made them for her, though she will happily use a face washer as a terry square when all her MCN’s are ‘in the wash’ we all know that feeling dont we!

Amber July 20, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Count me in the “my kids ‘nursed’ their dolls and I didn’t even have to spend $89″ camp. I am all about breastfeeding, but if I want my kids to learn about it I’d probably take them to a LLL meeting, because that’s just the kind of hippie I am. But if the doll floats your boat, I see no harm in it and more power to you.

As long as it doesn’t lead to my kids wearing tie-dye. THAT would be unforgivable.
Amber recently posted..Hair Ballad LoveMy Profile

Jackie July 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

So funny… I definitely wouldn’t spend the money for it. My daughter has always just pulled up her shirt and fed her babies the way babies were meant to be fed. And… she uses all our old cloth diapers on her babies, and lions, and bears and anyone else she can get a diaper on, and has a sling she carries them in. *sigh* what’s the world coming to. I swear. :)
Jackie recently posted..I Want to Work from Home… Where Do I Start?!My Profile

Emily July 21, 2011 at 10:16 am

You are absolutely awesomely brilliant – this has made my day!

I so want the Play-Doh version of the armpit hair growing doll.

Nic July 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

I think they need to make a breastpump accessory for the doll, just in case the little girls want to pretend to be working mom’s.

My son used to pretend to pump when I was building my stash before going back to work with my youngest.
Nic recently posted..The Princepessa is six going on sixteen!My Profile

Tiffany @ Home Grown Families July 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

LOVE IT!! I do find it slightly weird, though. Not for any sane reasons~ your post was straight on! I would love to expose my girls to this concept but… I just can’t help but think it’s weird… :)
Tiffany

bean July 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

I had a boy doll as a kid, with a penis. Busybodies who probably called themselves well-meaning, told my Mum it was bad and would be bad for me and she not so discreetly sold it in a garage sale along with my prettiest doll that went on a potty.

:( I came home from school to see her doing that and I thought I had done something awful to have have my babies taken away. They were new, gifts, and my favourite.

That’s all…

Open-mindedness and peace to you all.

Anticipating Dad July 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

As a soon to be Dad I just find this doll absolutely CREEPY.. This coming from a laid back and comedic type of person.. Does it have value in a SNL skit on a Saturday night?? SURE!

But why would a kid need to walk around with a doll like this? I can’t see how this helps make public breastfeeding more acceptable or really do anything but give people a laugh. If I see a 5year old kid nursing a doll I’m going to have to re-evaluate time, space, and marshmellow roasting.. My brain is filled enough with crazyness this will just put it over the top!!
Anticipating Dad recently posted..Survival Guide for Men – Months 1 & 2My Profile

Mom101 July 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm

After 165 comments, you still can’t see the other perspective?

Babs July 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm

My kids nurse their babies, and so do their Barbies. All these people scandalized by this doll would have died a few years ago when in a park my three year old, two year old and I all nursed our babies together after a picnic lunch.

Shannon July 22, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Oh boo I reached the end of the comments… More please

Danielle July 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I have no place in this conversation. I didn’t breast feed and am therefore going to hell.

But just a thought: do you think I could buy it as a form of contraception? I’m thinking when Hannah turns 15 or 16ish I’ll buy this doll for her and make her carry it around school with her for a couple of weeks.

Also, I’m kidding. I don’t wanna get yelled at like Bill did, haha.
Danielle recently posted..The Wedding, Part 4My Profile

kp July 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm

LOVE this post!!
kp recently posted..Just Another Manic MondayMy Profile

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale July 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm

My, now 7 1/2, then 3 yo, took the barbie (that I wasn’t allowed to have when I was a child for fear of something that has yet to be explained) and used to pull up her shirt and place it over her nipple. She would then rock the doll and murmur to it while smiling, and singing and looking perfectly contented.

My heart exploded, as I sat nursing my son and realizing she was mirroring me.

i don’t know why we have to create dolls and toys to do what children’s imaginations already do for them. Lets quit taking the beauty and imagination out of childhood already, shall we.

I still prefer writing and reading and the creations of my own imagination over those of another, and I pray daily that my children are the same.
Rachel – A Southern Fairytale recently posted..It Only Takes ONEMy Profile

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale July 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Holy hell. I do have knowledge of grammar and punctuation, I was typing this while talking to a very excited 4 yo and trying to keep him from typing for me.
Rachel – A Southern Fairytale recently posted..It Only Takes ONEMy Profile

Yuliya August 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

Being woefully behind in my reader I didn’t catch this awesome post until Best for Babes linked to it! (yay them)

If we’re going to start pushing for the rest of the gateway doll series, I suggest we add the ‘stay at home’ vs ‘working mom’ doll, just think of the wardrobe and accessory options!

T November 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Im so pleased i found this website! When i was a child most people bottle fed there babys, and i bet as kids they bottle fed there dolls, it was the norm ,we havebecome so brainwashed, if id had my children younger than i did, i think i would of bottle fed because all the young mums were doing it, but i am so pleased i saw through it all and breastfed for 2 years, it was wonderful and naturel, my daughter sometimes breast feeds her baby dolls, she sometimes uses the bottle as she saw her aunty bottle feed, that side of family are very old fashioned, dont really like the breast , brainwashed thats wot i say! I always remind m’y daughter that breast is best!

T November 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I have nô problem with this doll ,i think she is very cute! the only thing wrong with it is the very high price , thats shocking !!!

Lori February 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Terrific post!! “Gateway doll” … love it!

Amanda July 22, 2012 at 1:32 am

Eeeeek!!!

I’m still laughing!

Lisa October 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I think I just fell in love with you! Great post! Much love ♥
Lisa recently posted..ChangeMy Profile

Robert January 30, 2014 at 12:44 pm

co-sleeping doll… brilliant. But I do have a question… even though we can logically understand it’s not a “gateway” toy, what is the necessity of buying a doll to teach the roles of nurturing an infant… for a toddler? I’m not fighting it, just curious…

Robert.

Mom101 January 31, 2014 at 11:33 am

Good question, and thanks for your comment Robert. I don’t think anything is a necessity when it comes to toys, but kids like their dolls to do things. Especial things that real babies do: blink, coo, babble, pee, burp…so it makes sense that eating is one of those things too. For years baby dolls could take bottles or even a spoonful of food (ugh remember Baby Alive?) so considering babies also nurse it makes perfect sense to me.