Martin Luther King for beginners.

1.16.2012

in funny to me at least,my girls

MLK Brain PopToday, the kids and I had a good talk about Martin Luther King Jr., what he did, and why we honor his memory today. Of course most of this came as a result of  this excellent suggestion on Cool Mom Picks to watch the MLK Brainpop JR animated video.

(Thanks Christina, I can always count on you homeschoolers to know every educational tool on the web.)

Afterwards, I asked the girls one thing they learned from the video.

Thalia said, “people with brown skin weren’t allowed to sit on the bus where they wanted and he made sure that all people could sit anywhere they wanted.”

Sage said, “He went to Washington and lead a marching band!”

She was pretty impressed with that.

Kat January 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Well it is impressive. I love kids boils things down.
Kat recently posted..This is me freaking about something that won’t happen for 13 yearsMy Profile

Vanesa Jubis January 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This is great! Being a homeschooling mom myself, I also showed my girls a Scholastic DVD of Dr. MLK I found at Marshalls.

I love how T said ‘brown people’, so do my girls! ;)

My girls mentioned how Dr. King spread love. Children are so impressionable.
Vanesa Jubis recently posted..Once upon a ‘daughter’…My Profile

Mom101 January 16, 2012 at 7:59 pm

She definitely has trouble understanding why we’re called “white” when our skin is not really white. Except for Angelina Jolie, evidently.

Cloud January 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

Our day care was open today, which is a good thing, since so were both of our work places. They talked about Martin Luther King. I asked my daughter what they learned about him, and she said that he had a dream that all colors of people were the best.

Talking with her about race is hard, and is only going to get harder. But I guess this is a good start.
Cloud recently posted..Dinner during Dora: The Fish Hater’s Fish TacosMy Profile

Mom101 January 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

“all colors of people were the best.”

I think that’s an awesome start. Aren’t kids great?

No Drama Mama January 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

That’s the best way I’ve ever heard of describing diversity.
No Drama Mama recently posted..How to Make Your Two Year Old HappyMy Profile

Elizabeth January 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. I’ll have to watch it with my kids, even if it’s one day late. Talking to my kids about race is hard because we’re Mexican-American and grew up in the U.S. with friends of all races, socio-economic backgrounds, etc., but my husband is straight from the rancho in Mexico and…well, yeah…we see the world a little bit differently. I actually had to tell him repeatedly not to use the N word because he didn’t understand what was so bad about it. We have books about Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks and my children love to look at all the pictures and hear the stories. Hopefully together we’ll be able to teach my husband a little bit more about diversity and tolerance. I mean, we can’t expect people to accept us if we also don’t accept others, right?

Mom101 January 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’d imagine it’s never too late.

There’s a wonderful chapter in NurtureShock about talking to your kids about race–my readers learned me about that one sometime last year. Evidently white folks tend not to talk about race, instead saying things like “we’re all the same inside,” which really just communicates that it’s something you’re not supposed to talk about. People of color, who live race relation issues every day, are more upfront, actually making their kids more educated and equipped to deal with it.

With you at the helm, I have hope for your husband!

Christy January 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I was talking to my first grader and his friend about MLK and asked them what they learned in school. My son’s friend (an African American) said, “He helped white people.” At first, I was a bit concerned that he had interpreted it backwards. Then I realized he had it right- MLK helped white people to understand that the laws were wrong, and that we’re all people with feelings and deserve to be treated like such. It was a beautiful moment when I realized the kids had a much better understanding than I did.

Mom101 January 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

That’s a very very cool perspective.Thank you Christy.

Danielle January 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I got to be in the United States for Martin Luther King day this year. I’m Canadian, but my folks live in Philadelphia. I felt like this was a learning experience for me too.
Danielle recently posted..Am I Selfish?My Profile