When wishes aren’t enough

3.05.2012

in introspection,lovely love my family

florenceLast week someone asked me, what surprised you about becoming a mother? I didn’t have a very good response.

If I had to answer over again, I would say, I became forever connected to every other mother on the planet.

I imagine you feel the same way.

Since I first wrote about Florence more than two years ago, I’ve been awed by how many of you have quietly followed her story. How many have sent wishes and thoughts and prayers for a little girl you never met; a family you don’t know. How many of you have reached out through words or notes of kindness, have emailed, have left comments on their Facebook page, have posted yourselves, have donated money, have hoped against all hope for the transplant to work, the stem cells to grow, the evil unnamed disease inside her to disappear into nothingness.

It seems implausible that strangers on the internet do this for strangers. But they do. We see it time and again.

It’s because we are not strangers. We are mothers. And another mother’s pain is our pain. Another mother’s loss is our loss.

I’m sad to say that Florence died last night. She was six years old.

Her mother, my sister-in-law and I were all pregnant at the same time, the spring of 2005.

It wasn’t supposed to go like this.

It’s never supposed to go like this for a child.

In the most unbelievably exquisite, haunting, heartwrenching post you have ever read, the words of a father faced with the impending loss of his daughter, Will quoted his wife: “We have only borrowed Florence.”

I wonder if I would be as strong as they have been over the past several years, watching her fight.

I wonder if I could be as eloquent and thoughtful.

Clearly I’m not a religious person. But I do believe that when you put good into the world, it comes back to you. And I staunchly believe that your prayers and wishes and good thoughts and white light did not go to waste. They helped Florence’s family through so many months of pain and hospitals and disappointment, one day at a time. Her parents and grandparents have thanked me for all the kindness from my friends and readers, even if they couldn’t thank you each individually.

You did good. Even if you could not save Florence.

I hugged my girls a long time last night. So long that they got uncomfortable and squirmy. That hardly seemed long enough.

For those of you have been so kind to ask, yes, there is a Memorial Fund in honor of Florence for Duke’s Pediatric Bone Marrow Unit’s Family Support Unit. Info at this link.

Adventures in Babywearing March 5, 2012 at 7:12 am

Oh no no no. I have prayed and followed along. I am so sorry to hear this. Peace to those hearts, and yours.

Steph
Adventures in Babywearing recently posted..Four Unhappy ChildrenMy Profile

Loukia March 5, 2012 at 7:13 am

How absolutely devastating. My thoughts are with her family. It’s so true, since becoming a mom, I feel connected to every single mom out there. It’s a blessing, but it’s also a major heartache. My heart bleeds with each story like this, and I think it’s the most unfair thing on earth. No one should ever have to go through losing their child. Thanks for sharing her story, Liz.

dusty earth mother March 5, 2012 at 7:14 am

I am about to go in and hug my kids now, tears streaming down my face. I am praying for that whole family. xxoo, Liz.

Karen Chatters March 5, 2012 at 7:19 am

Im so sorry for your loss and for your SIL and her family. No one should ever have to lose a child. My heart is with you all at this sad, sad time.
Karen Chatters recently posted..What about the mommy and the daddy?My Profile

Gabrielle - Design Mom March 5, 2012 at 7:24 am

Just heartbreaking. Thank you for letting us know, Liz. We will be mourning with you for sweet Florence.
Gabrielle – Design Mom recently posted..Author Interview: Nikki McClureMy Profile

Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes March 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

Oh no, this is truly terrible. There are no words. I’m so very sorry.
Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes recently posted..Store Cupboard Green Curry and the Stomach Flu of DoomMy Profile

Kristen Chase March 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

I read his post last night, and those words, the borrowing of that sweet girl, they touched me.

Love to your whole family, Liz.

Bill March 5, 2012 at 7:38 am

I imagine there’s nothing worse than parents outliving their children. My sincere condolences to Florence’s family and friends…

Stephanie smirnov March 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

Liz, I’m so sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Jill March 5, 2012 at 7:51 am

I am so sorry for the loss of beautiful Florence. My heart is with all of those who loved her, especially her parents.

Stephanie Schwab March 5, 2012 at 7:54 am

Oh, my mother heart aches. Liz, my condolences go to Florence’s family and yours. May her memory be for a blessing.
Stephanie Schwab recently posted..PROFILE: Austin MahoneMy Profile

Kerry March 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

And we will never forget her strength, joy, and obvious love for all that was around her while you and her family had her here. I’m so so sorry. I have not lost a child of my own, but I watched my Mom lose one of hers…..and I truly echo what you say Liz, somehow that love stays with us, becomes a part of every thing we do, and thank you and Florence’s family for sharing it for the short time you had her.

Mom101 March 5, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thank you all so much for the kindness. I’m sure it means the world to her family right now.

Korinthia Klein March 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

I am so sorry. I wish there were better words.

Kelley March 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

So, so sorry.
Kelley recently posted..What Do You Do All Day, Anyway?My Profile

Fairly Odd Mother March 5, 2012 at 9:03 am

It seems so unfair that there was such hope just a few weeks ago and then, this. We are all connected to Florence now and may her family know how many people she touched in her life.
Fairly Odd Mother recently posted..Oh, the places they’ll go. . .*My Profile

Rachel March 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

my thoughts are with you and Florence’s family right now. what a loss.
Rachel recently posted..Emotionally, I pick graphiteMy Profile

Pilar March 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

I can’t imagine losing a child, and my heart goes out to you and Florence’s family. There are really no words…

Jill March 5, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m so sorry Liz. Thinking of you and your family.

Julie Marsh March 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

Love to you and yours. Thank you for sharing Florence with us. Even when these connections mean shared sadness, I’m still glad to have them.

Mrs Q March 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m so, so very sorry for your family, Liz. My heart broke when I heard the news. What a special little girl to have touched so many hearts.

Amalia March 5, 2012 at 9:26 am

I don’t think there are words to express the heartbreak all mothers are feeling as we read the sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Brittany March 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

You are so right, we are all connected by this thing called motherhood. Our hearts and hands come together to help whenever we can with whatever we can do. When we can do no more, we grieve together and lend support. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of precious Florence and am sending my love to her family and yours on this sad day.
Brittany recently posted..Mother Nature’s Beautiful MistakeMy Profile

Redneck Mommy March 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

I am so very sorry for their loss and for yours. I wish upon a thousand stars and more that no parent would have to endure this loss and that no family would feel the emptiness of life after the loss of a child. All I can say is thank you for sharing Florence’s journey with us.
Redneck Mommy recently posted..Leap Year MagicMy Profile

Jadzia@Toddlerisms March 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

I am so, so sorry that anybody has to go through such unimaginable pain. The world is a narrow bridge indeed.

I hope it’s not inappropriate to leave a link here to a wonderful organization that provides support to parents who have lost their children — http://griefhaven.org/ They are good people who have been down this road. If it IS inappropriate, I am really sorry and please delete.
Jadzia@Toddlerisms recently posted..Another International IncidentMy Profile

Mom101 March 5, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thank you Jadzia. I’m sure that will be helpful to a lot of people.

michael cohen March 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

heartbreaking. my best to your family.

Gray Matter Matters (Betsy) March 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh Liz, there are no words. And the few there are you wrote so eloquently. Sending love and support to you all.
Gray Matter Matters (Betsy) recently posted..Abbott, Costello & Social Media 101My Profile

Kathryn March 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oh, I’m so sorry. I didn’t follow the story of Florence, but my heart goes out to any parent who looses a child.

ClumberKim March 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

I was sitting next to my six year old when I read this (the first time…had to come back and hoped it hadn’t really happened). He asked why I was crying. All I could do was give him a hug. Sending love to your family.
ClumberKim recently posted..Blame It On TitoMy Profile

Stephanie March 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

Been trying to find the words, all I can say is that I am so sorry for your and your family’s loss. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. You are all in my heart.

Mr Lady March 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

Oh, Liz, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with the family.
Mr Lady recently posted..She Runs GunsMy Profile

Cloud March 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

Oh, I’m so, so sorry. Life can be so unfair.

I’m home with a sick toddler today. I will hug her and be grateful that she’s just got a cold. We had a scare with her last year, when we thought she might have something seriously wrong. It turns out, she just gets fevers easily. Annoying- but having stared into the face of the alternative, I’m grateful. I am so sorry that Florence and her family were not so lucky.
Cloud recently posted..Quotable: Maternal AmbitionMy Profile

leanne March 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m so very sorry for your family’s loss.

menderz March 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m not a mom, and this still breaks my heart. My heart goes out to you and Florence’s family.

Issa March 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am so sorry for all of you.

Alyssa S. March 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I can’t even fathom the loss. I will go home tonight and hug my 6 year old and thank whoever is listening for every day I’m lucky enough to do so. I’m so, so very sorry for you all.

jodifur March 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Losing a child so young never seems fair. To anyone.

I’m so sorry.
jodifur recently posted..Breaking The BoardMy Profile

magpie March 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m so sorry. Much love to you and your family, and to Florence’s family.
magpie recently posted..Self Portrait With Lamp PostMy Profile

Josette Plank March 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’m so sorry, Liz.

Continued prayers for a dear family.

Beth B. March 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’m so sorry to hear the news.

Kirsten A. March 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Liz – I am so so sorry to hear about Florence. I have been following along for the past few months. Truly heartbreaking. Sending love and support

Alexandra March 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Oh my gosh, how do people survive an earth shattering loss like this?

how do they go on?

It’s really not living anymore, it’s like just making it through another day.

And wondering why.

I am so very very sorry.

Mom101 March 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm

They go on because they have still a daughter who is alive and healthy and vibrant and wonderful. We live for the living.

RookieMom Heather March 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’m so sorry. I wish I had better words. Or magic powers.

Jenn J. March 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Much love and light to Florence and family. xo

amy March 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I am so sorry to hear this :( Our thoughts go with her family.

Isabel @AlphaMom March 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

no no no no no!

i am so so sorry.
Isabel @AlphaMom recently posted..Sleep Regressions & Physical MilestonesMy Profile

Lori March 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’m so sorry.

Jen Conway March 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

My husbands grandmother lost her youngest of 7 children at 13 years old from a hunting accident. She was an amazing women who I was lucky to know. When she died suddenly at 82 years old his picture was the only picture in her wallet. At her funeral the priest who also came to the house the same day her youngest died recounted meeting her at the door when she said ” how lucky we were to have him for 13 years”. I think about that now that I have a 9 mo old and don’t know how she had the strength, how your brother has the strength… But thank god that we find the strength. I will say a prayer for you all tonight.

Mom101 March 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you Jen.

Asha Dornfest {Parent Hacks} March 6, 2012 at 12:19 am

I’m so very sorry.

Mirana March 6, 2012 at 3:13 am

I am so sorry for the bad news..
Mirana recently posted..Chalet 1802My Profile

Fad March 6, 2012 at 7:59 am

Life is so unfair. Peace, love and strength to her family and friends.

Mari Needs a Sitter March 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

My condolences to Florence’s family. She’s with God now..she’s an angel.

Kim Foster March 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh God Liz, I’m so, so sorry.

I was hoping….

Jessica March 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

Oh Liz. My entire body hurts with this news, but mostly my heart.

It’s hard to type through the tears. Please know that I’m sending you love from my heart to you, your family and Florence’s.
Jessica recently posted..Babywearing in New York CityMy Profile

Meagan @ The Happiest Mom March 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh, no. I’m so sorry.

Danielle Smith March 6, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oh my heart…. Liz… I’m so very sorry sweet Florence is gone too soon. Your family, her family… her sweet big sister…. you are all in my thoughts. Love to all of you.
Danielle Smith recently posted..I Believe In Picking My BattlesMy Profile

Elaine March 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

A sweet light to the world, lost way too soon. I’m so sorry…

AmyeToTheRescue! March 6, 2012 at 11:23 am

Beautiful post Liz… A tear is running down my face.
AmyeToTheRescue! recently posted..SMEAD Travel Document Organizer A ReviewMy Profile

Liz March 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I am so sorry for all of you dealing with the loss of sweet Florence.
What devastating news for all of you.

kim/reluctant renovator March 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your extended family.
kim/reluctant renovator recently posted..Even the Kitchen SinkMy Profile

Sara March 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m heartbroken for a little girl I never met. It makes me think of my little Erika who will be 6 in August. I can’t even imagine the loss Florence’s family is feeling. I am so, so sorry.

Jennie March 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I am so very sorry. Much love and strength to you and to her family.

Boston Mamas March 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I’m so, so sorry Liz. :-( Sending wishes of peace to all.
Boston Mamas recently posted..Compact & Clever Camera Phone LensesMy Profile

Shannon Colleary March 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. My prayers to your family.

ats March 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I am so very sorry as I have been thinking about her recently. So much love + prayers to all.

Jaelithe March 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I am so sorry for your family’s loss. I will not forget Florence.
Jaelithe recently posted..Keep in ReachMy Profile

Malavika Pillai March 7, 2012 at 4:30 am

So very sorry to hear this.
Mala (long-time reader from India)

Dhana28 March 7, 2012 at 5:38 am

Your story breaks my heart.. I really hope that you’ll be more strong to over some it..
Dhana28 recently posted..The Best of Satellite TVMy Profile

Stacie @OneHungryMama March 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

It’s taken a day for me to come back and write this: I’m so sorry, Liz. So sorry for you and your family. I feel lame that sorry is all I can manage, even after knowing this news for a day now, but it is. What more is there when something is so unfair and makes so little sense. I wish I knew. We will continue to send peace, love and strength to Florence’s family. Our thoughts continue to be with Florence’s family.
Stacie @OneHungryMama recently posted..{recipe & reads} Squash Carrot Raisin “Muffet” Bread from Julia’s ChildMy Profile

Mom101 March 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

That’s so lovely, Stacie. Thank you so much.

And thank you everyone. The kindness is overwhelming.

Karen March 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ouch.

I agree that putting good out brings good back around.
Karen recently posted..My Needs Are SimpleMy Profile

Annie @ PhD in Parenting March 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. (hug)
Annie @ PhD in Parenting recently posted..Honour for Nestlé Chairman Insult to All Who Value Respect for Human Rights (Guest Post)My Profile

Susan Getgood March 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

My heart breaks for you all.
Susan Getgood recently posted..Brief report on blog monetization panel at Family Travel ConferenceMy Profile

Mom101 March 10, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thank you Susan.

Grace Pamer March 12, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’m so sorry to hear of this tragic news. Sending all my healing love to the incredibly brave parents.

Grace
Grace Pamer recently posted..When Wishes Aren’t Enough – Moving PostMy Profile

Michelle March 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Just reading this post, and your others about Florence, makes me tear up and sob. It’s so true to feel that being a mother is a connection to other mothers and pretty much every kid in the world. I wish for calm and peace for Florence and your family.