Pregnancy Awareness Month – doing my part

5.01.2012

in funny to me at least

I just got wind that today marks the beginning of Pregnancy Awareness Month.

I have to admit (a little sheepishly here) that I hadn’t realized that there were so many people not aware of pregnancy in this country–I though that only happened in exotic faraway countries like Northern Canada.  But since I now stand corrected, I’m pleased to know that pregnancy now has its very own month just to correct the terrible lack of awareness.

I’d hate to think that every time a woman with a protruding belly waddled onto the subway, some teenager would make a crack about laying off the Oreos. Or that we could potentially have millions of women sharing that same crazy birth story about how they just thought they had to poop at the prom and suddenly a baby came out. (Although I’d imagine those surprise babies wouldn’t only come out at proms; they would only account for about 78% of the births and the rest would happen in places like airport lounges and power plants.)

And seriously, can you imagine what would happen if not one otherwise healthy pregnant women took those prenatal vitamins every single day? On the other hand, that would greatly reduce the number of women lying about taking those prenatal vitamins every day. So the one small downside of pregnancy awareness is that it’s correlated with lying.

Then again, so is motherhood. So without pregnancy awareness, we really aren’t getting the preparation for parenting that we so desperately need.

In any case, thanks for the press releases about this important month, makers of baby products for sale. I’m glad I can do my part to spread the word.

Korinthia Klein May 1, 2012 at 8:32 am

I thought this was Awareness awareness month! I’m so out of it.
Korinthia Klein recently posted..The Amazing Milwaukee Race!My Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

Well it probably is, because I was not aware of any awareness month festivities and now I am. So maybe it’s kind of meta that way.

Amanda K May 1, 2012 at 9:15 am

I really think we need a “I have a crazy, screaming toddler so quit with your judging” week. Or month. It would be a lot more helpful than some of the “awareness” things I’ve seen.

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

I happen to agree, Amanda.

Anna Getty May 9, 2012 at 12:30 am

We cover that too Amanda.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] May 1, 2012 at 9:28 am

It’s an epidemic. You’re an angel for spreading awareness for all of these women hiding in the shadows with their swelling bellies.
Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] recently posted..Women Are Not Juniors, Nor Are We Unisex. GAH.My Profile

doug anderson May 1, 2012 at 9:36 am

Love the reference to Oreos………..given all the ridiculous press recently

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ha, that’s probably why it seeped into my consciousness. I might have you to blame for that, Doug.

doug anderson May 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Go ahead. I can take it

Kelly May 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

I agree with Amanda. I think toddler awareness month would be much better. If we spread the word maybe people will stop judging when I take my 3 year old out of the house with mystery substances in her hair.
Kelly recently posted..The Duct Tape InitiativeMy Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Love it!

Rachel May 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

I spent 2 years in the rural Altoona, PA working specifically with pregnant teenagers and teen moms – they could have really used pregnancy awareness year round. and quite frankly – what motherhood does to your life awareness.

that abstinence only education really is great – huh?
Rachel recently posted..On Meeting the Moms of Mom 2.0My Profile

Ericka May 1, 2012 at 11:29 am

i share your opinion of pregnancy awareness.

on the other hand, until i had friends trying to get pregnant and actually have a baby, i had NO idea how common it was to have problems. one year, i had eleven (yes, 11!) baby showers to go to and of all of the people i know who now have children – and this number is somewhere in the dozens – i can think of maybe 4 people who didn’t have some sort of major, life-threatening problem. MOST of my friends lost at least one baby, some lost several. these were women around the country, of many different ethnic backgrounds and social and economic statuses.

now, most of my friends who wanted them have happy, healthy babies but the hell that they had to go through to get them still appalls me. more, i remain stunned that no one ever seems to say anything about it.

so i’d totally be in favor of some sort of “getting a healthy baby is WAY harder than you think and you are not alone in your struggles” month. probably they’d have to find a way to shorten the name a bit though…
Ericka recently posted..Why, Airports? Why?My Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

OH so wait…that would be pregnancy health awareness? That makes more sense to me.

My Kids Mom May 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm

That would be GAHBIWHTYTAYANAIYS month.

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That would fit on a maternity shirt, but probably not a regular shirt.

Grace {Formerly Gracie} May 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I would prefer there was a Parenthood Awareness Month, wherein we all sit a drum circle– Kumbaya-style– and tell people all the parenthood crap that I wish someone had told me. Birth plan, indeed! No wonder the nurse laughed at me… I laugh at me. :-P
Grace {Formerly Gracie} recently posted..{Giveaway} A Memorable Mother’s Day + $100 eBay Gift CardMy Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Can’t we just make each other aware of parents? “Hey! There are parents out there!”

Soooo much easier.

Amanda May 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

If they really want to help with awareness, I think links to Etsy shops that sell long necklaces that will dangle over the stains you get on the belly of every maternity shirt that you are afraid to swab with stain sticks for the warnings about the dangers of chemicals to your unborn belly, would be most helpful.
Amanda recently posted..Staring it downMy Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

You’re smart, Amanda. You go and start that Etsy shop. You have proof right here that you came up with it first. We just need a catchy name. “Stain-hiders” just doesn’t sound fashionable.

Ooh…”Stayn hiderzz?”

Sleeping Mom May 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Considering that life insurance for women is higher not just because we live longer but because of our reproductive organs and the fact that bad stuff can really go down during pregnancy, I can see why there’s a movement for more awareness. I’m sure it’s also a way for healthier babies to be born when moms stay away from sushi, get exercise, and all that fun stuff we had to do when pregnant.
Sleeping Mom recently posted..Ask the readers: “Help! My toddler is scared of the bath.”My Profile

Mom101 May 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

The sushi thing is a total myth disseminated by very competitive pizza joints. Also, everyone knows that the biggest risk to unborn babies is listening to too much 80s music in utero. That’s what Nate always said to me, at least.

Jaelithe May 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

In fact, Liz, I have it on good authority that exposure to excessive 80s music in the womb produces children with above-average intelligence and very nice hair. And by “on good authority,” I obviously mean my own.
Jaelithe recently posted..Keep in ReachMy Profile

Mom101 May 2, 2012 at 12:02 am

Jaelithe, if I ever breed again I want it to be with you. Or at least you can be my doula and play Love and Rockets in the delivery room.

Fer May 2, 2012 at 12:16 am

I am in favor of Not Pregnant Awareness Week, which would be a relief both to those who mistakenly assume others are pregnant and those who field the questions and comments about their non-pregnancies.
Fer recently posted..Portrait of a Third GraderMy Profile

Mom101 May 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

I could get behind that.

Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes May 2, 2012 at 7:55 am

I would like a Crazy Father and/or Mother In Law- awareness month.
Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes recently posted..Spring CleaningMy Profile

Hillary May 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

While I did get a chuckle, I certainly wish we did have a “Pregnant Women Have a Right to Receive Respectful and Evidence Based Care” because unfortunately in this country this is not the case.

Marija May 2, 2012 at 10:27 am

We should have “pregnancy fads awareness week”, to warn mothers-t0-be (and fathers-to-be, they get to be involved) of all the fad things that various establishments will sell you as “must haves” for pregnancy and baby-ready.
- parenting books (including infamous sleep training books)
- sushi fame (or just about any food whether good or bad)
- vitamins
- maternity clothes galore
- baby proofing every nook and cranny
- birth plan kits
- make up dangers, shampoo-induced birth defects, organic food, hiding from sun… plenty more that I forgotten

Yeah, there are lot of things we are all not aware of it… despite all the screaming pitches from all the well informed and vendor-backed magazines and morning shows. Apparently having a growing belly and morning sickness makes you eligible for big spending.
If only my wallet would agree and I would suspend my brain.

Clio May 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks for this valuable info
re Pregnancy Awareness Month! We do not have
this initiative in Canada. Perhaps a group can be
formed to lobby the government? Despite your
remark regarding ‘Northern Canada,’ not nearly
enough is known on the subject.
Clio recently posted..Adventures in Diapering; or, Dances with PooMy Profile

Marta May 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I think I need more literature on this “pregnancy” you speak of. Are you sure this isn’t something the democrats made up to justify spending on such silly things like healthcare?
Marta recently posted..Call Me BeautifulMy Profile

Alyssa S May 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Wait, wait, wait. So you are saying I was PREGNANT? I’ve always wondered where those two kids who look a lot like me came from.
Alyssa S recently posted..When a bad day isn’t so badMy Profile

Mom101 May 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Did you give birth in a toilet?

Alyssa S May 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm

No, but I do remember thinking maybe Ridley Scott was on to something and that some Alien was going to burst out of my stomach. I’m relieved that it was pregnancy and not an alien invasion. PHEW!

The Mommy Psychologist May 3, 2012 at 1:41 am

Um…I can’t help myself. Do we really need a pregnancy awareness month? C-mon…

Gisselle May 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

I am not aware that this is the pregnancy awareness month.. Anyway, Thank you for the information and the things you have provided here.. Great job!
Gisselle recently posted..Cure Panic AttacksMy Profile

ครีมมะหาด May 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love above article.I hope you will share this againts. I like it.

Sandra May 8, 2012 at 3:34 am