Still smiling

7.06.2012

in lovely love my family,my girls

It still blows my mind that this:

Has the ability to become this:

From the baby who was born smiling, to the seven year-old who still does it every chance she gets.

We joke, Thalia, that you could never be an actress because you can’t deliver a single line, no matter how dramatic or serious or awful without those beautiful lips of yours curling upward into a smile. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Thank you. For being you. For still reaching for my hand when we cross the street. For arguing with your sister about who gets to sit next to me at dinner. For your resilience. For your love of homework. For your remarkable sense of empathy. For being good company. For singing off-tune with all your heart. For celebrating the joy of spinning. For loving the cats–even the stinky one. For your stories, your poems, and your artwork. For saying “you’re the best mom in the whole wide world” even when I haven’t given you something made out of chocolate. For your absolutely terrible jokes.

Thank you for making me a mother.  For teaching me more in seven years than I probably learned in the first 35 years combined. And of course, for those wonderful smiles.

You say you want to stay seven forever, that it’s your lucky number.  And I might like it that way. But something tells me the best is still yet to come.

Happy birthday Thal. I couldn’t love you more.

Amanda July 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Happiest of days to you both.

Also, the part about her smile is probably going to send hundreds of lips curling upward today.
Amanda recently posted..Bending to GratitudeMy Profile

Kristen July 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Happy Birthday to Thalia! And to you Liz — 7 awesome years as an awesome mom!

dorf's Daughter July 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thank you for the privilege of being the mother and grandmother. If I ever wondered who is the teacher and who is the student, I’ve long since known that I’m the one who’s learning every day from each of you. Happy birthday, Thalia April. (And Happy Birthday, Frida Kahlo.)

Ashley Austrew July 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

SUCH a beautiful little girl. Happy birthday, Thalia!

Grown and Flown July 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

It never becomes believable! Have three boys so they tower over me, hard to believe there was a time they all sat on my lap/in my arms at once. Enjoy!!
Grown and Flown recently posted..The Unexpected Pleasures of ParentingMy Profile

Korinthia July 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Happy Birthday, Thalia! May you have reason to smile your whole life long.
Korinthia recently posted..A Body of WorkMy Profile

Mom101 July 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much everyone. I’m going to read her every comment.

Fairly Odd Mother July 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Happy Birthday to our favorite 7 year old New Yorker! xoxoxo

Mandi July 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Happy Birthday wishes from Australia!
Thalia, your mum (sorry Mom!) is right – you have the most beautiful smile. I hope you find something wonderful to smile about every single day.
Mandi recently posted..Hooray for Holidays!My Profile

John Exami July 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hey, am I too late? Happy! Happy! Birthday Thalia!, a beautiful child indeed! Sorry my comment is full of exclamation points.

AmyeToTheRescue! July 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

Even my heart is smiling!
Your gratitude is beautiful!
My life also changed 7 years ago in a way I never thought possible.
It is truly an honor and a privilege to be a part of her life. And yours.
Thank you beautiful Thalia for your love and your lessons. Never stop being exactly who you are. You are perfect exactly the way you are.
Thank you for 7 years of complete joy.
I love you so,
Grammye
AmyeToTheRescue! recently posted..SMEAD Travel Document Organizer A ReviewMy Profile

Sleeping Should Be Easy July 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Happy birthday Thalia and happy seven years of motherhood to you too!
Sleeping Should Be Easy recently posted..10 chores your toddler can doMy Profile

Annie July 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

So sweet! Happy birthday, Thalia. My baby is only 6 months old, and I already feel like the time is flying by. It’s nice to think someday your daughter might log on to whatever kind of computorial contraption they’ll have in the future (brainchip? yikes) and see these lovely wishes written by her mother.
Annie recently posted..The American DreamMy Profile

Mom101 July 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I love hearing about 6 month olds. I started writing this blog when Thalia was that age. And YES it goes fast!

Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes July 9, 2012 at 7:05 am

Happy birthday Thalia!
Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes recently posted..What a girl does want for her birthdayMy Profile

Tania July 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

That is a truly beautiful smile!

Dawn @ thedalaimama July 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Happy belated B-Day Thalia!!!
Great post Liz. July 6 is a magical day for birthdays (it happens to be my husbands).
Dawn @ thedalaimama recently posted..A Lesson That Will Surely Come Back to Bite MeMy Profile

Karen July 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

The morph is amazing, isn’t it? She’s lovely. Happy birthday to your not-so-little one. :)
Karen recently posted..A Blogcation.My Profile

Kelley July 10, 2012 at 12:54 am

Smart, lovely, thoughtful Thalia! Happy Birthday!

Anna July 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

a smiley new yorker, she should definitely represent my favorite city that gets a bad rap for being unfriendly.

happy birthday, thalia!
Anna recently posted..Just a Boy and His Bear Taking a Boardwalk StrollMy Profile

Mom101 July 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

New York is one of the friendliest towns on the planet. We’re just busy!
Ask a NYer sometime for directions…she’ll end up walking you there.