Over the past few days, reading the flurry of commentary, chatter, and full-on ranting over Seth MacFarlane’s performance at the Oscars, and The Onion tweet heard round the world, I have come to several possible conclusions regarding why you probably don’t like a sexist or racist or gay-bashing joke. These are all verbatims or paraphrases from actual statements seen around the internets. So…thank you for schooling me internets! I feel so much wiser now. And funnier!
At least 47% funnier. And that’s significant.
1. You have no sense of humor
2. You didn’t get the joke.
3. You are a stuck-up jackass.
4. You don’t have boobs that anyone would like to see or if you do then for some reason you are ashamed of them.
5. You look like a washed-up dishrag which explains your envy.
6. You should have expected it because that’s what that comedian does! Duh.
7. You are a stupidly reactionary Feminazi. (Definition: feminists who murder millions of people?)
8. You need to lighten up because you don’t get those women who showed their boobs are actresses and not actual rape victims.
9. You are not qualified to evaluate jokes unless you’ve done stand-up yourself.
10. You are a PC asshole and ruining everything good about America including the right to make sexist and racist jokes.
11. You are misunderstanding what racism means. See, non-racist people make racist jokes as political commentary above the heads of 99% of the watching public but you know, it’s not for them. It’s for the 1%. And if you don’t get it, that’s not our problem.
12. You don’t understand that if it’s absurd that’s what makes it funny and clearly anything misogynist is absurd. Well, to everyone but actual misogynists, but let’s not talk about that part right now.
13. You have too much time on your hands; there are starving children in India.
14. You must be a mother, because it’s always the breeders that are up in arms about shit that couldn’t phase anyone else on our worst day.
15. You don’t recognize that in comedy everything is fair game, without boundaries. Just ask Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce, who always called nine-year-old girls cu…or wait. Bad example.
16. Other women/Blacks/Latinas/gays aren’t offended so there must be something wrong with you.
17. You are stupid and very very busy looking for things to be offended by.
18. You want to take away the power of the real misogynists and racists of the world by focusing on stupid things like commentary made in front of a 40.3 mm viewing audience.
19. You have completely missed the point on what is FUN and ENTERTAINING.
20. You need to understand that the target of the jokes were asking for it.
21. Haters gonna hate.
In conclusion, if you don’t like a sexist or racist joke, go save starving children in India. Hope that clears things up.